Click on a Date and Action Alert title to expand the full text.
ACTION ALERT! Oregon Climate Action Program
Date: Feb 15, 2019
To: All League Members and Oregonians
From: Norman Turrill, LWVOR President
Claudia Keith, LWVOR Climate Change Portfolio
Your Voice is Critically Needed!
Please plan to join Oregonians at one of these recently scheduled Legislative Joint Committee Carbon Reduction (JCCR) public hearings planned for all over the state. The Oregon Climate Action Program (OCAP), HB 2020, is the cap and invest legislative bill that, during previous sessions, was referred to as ‘Clean Energy Jobs’. HB 2020 is designed to cap and steadily reduce the state’s greenhouse emissions over the next 30 years and makes investments in projects that further help move us away from fossil fuels to the benefit of Oregonians across the state.
Please take action to create a strong and effective Oregon Climate Action Program. The bill has three major components:
* CAP: A limit on climate pollution from the largest emitters in our state. The cap will be lowered each year to guarantee less pollution, as scientists have demanded we need.
* PRICE: To hold large polluters accountable and encourage them to use clean energy and do more efficiency, they will pay for each ton of pollution they put into our air.
* INVEST: Proceeds will be reinvested in communities across the state, putting Oregonians to work by making clean power, like solar, available to more people; upgrading homes and businesses to save energy and money; providing more transportation options; preventing wildfire; and protecting against drought. Investments must be guaranteed to low-income, communities of color, Tribes and rural communities to ensure they benefit from clean energy and are protected against climate impacts.
Plan to attend and testify at one of the following JCCR Legislative public hearings or community meetings. Do invite friends and consider carpooling.
Capital Building, Salem, OR
Friday Feb 15, 1:00-3:00 pm
Monday Feb 18, 5:00-7:30 or 8 pm
Springfield City Hall, Council Chamber, 225 Fifth Street, Springfield, OR
Friday Feb 22, 12 pm-3 pm
Central Medford High School auditorium, 815 South Oakdale Avenue, Medford, OR
Saturday Feb 23, 9 am-12 pm
The Dalles Civic Auditorium, Community Room, 323, East 4th Street, The Dalles, OR
Friday, March 1, 12 pm-3 pm
Central Oregon Community College, Cascade Hall, Room 246-248, 2600 NW College Way, Bend, OR
Saturday, March 2, 9 am-12 pm
Your Voice is Critically Needed!
If these JCCR meetings are not in your local area then please consider attending your House and Senate district legislators’ locally scheduled townhall meetings in your communities. Additionally, you are encouraged to call or write your legislators (contact your legislators.)
League testimony was submitted in support of HB 2020 and was posted to OLIS today. Questions, contact Claudia Keith at email@example.com.
League of Women Voters of Oregon
1330 12th ST SE Suite 200 Salem, OR 97302
- Reading of the bill February 1st: State Capitol in Hearing Room F from 1 – 3 PM.
- Public Testimony: Expected schedule February 8th from 1 – 3 PM and February 11th from 5 -8 PM.
- Carpools to Salem are being arranged. We need to show our support for a strong bill by filling the room. It’s great to see our legislative process in person.
- You can watch remotely on OLIS. If you do, please send a follow up email to the members of the committee so they know you were there.